Immunizations For Studying In The USA

What Are Immunizations And Why Are They Important?

Immunizations (also known as vaccines) can be administered orally or by injection and are designed to stimulate your immune system to recognize a specific disease before you contract it. This will help protect your body from disease and will also help ensure you can’t then pass diseases to others. 

It’s important that you are as healthy as possible while studying in the United States as an international student, and this is why most schools require their students are vaccinated before registering for classes.

What Immunizations Does My School Require?

Immunization requirements will vary from school to school, so it’s important to ask your school which vaccines you’re required to have. Sometimes schools will have two lists of vaccinations – some that you are required to have and some that they simply suggest. 

foco idea recuerdaThe Cigna Global plan covers the HPV vaccine and other vaccines commonly administered to 17-year-olds or younger.

The Most Commonly Required Vaccinations Are:

  • Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) 
  • Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (TDAP)
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) 
  • Hepatitis B
  • Polio 

Some Schools Also May Require These Vaccinations: 

  • Meningococcal B (meningitis)
  • HPV 
  • Annual Flu Shot
  • TB Test (tuberculosis)

When Should I Get Vaccinated?

While it is possible for students to get their vaccines in the USA after arrival, it is often more cost-effective and less of a hassle to receive your vaccines beforehand. If at all possible, try to get all of your vaccinations taken care of in your home country. 

Typical Costs of Immunizations

Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)$80
Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (TDAP)$95
Varicella (Chickenpox)  $166
Hepatitis B$104
Polio (IPV)$115
Meningococcal B (meningitis)$205
Flu Shot$80

Are you curious about the US healthcare system and what else you should be taking care of before traveling to the US? Check out this helpful video.

Does my Insurance Cover Immunizations?

If your health insurance plan is offered by your school or compliant with the Affordable Care Act, odds are that immunizations (at least some of them) are covered by your insurance. If your school doesn’t offer a health insurance plan and you have to purchase your own individual plan, odds are that immunizations won’t be covered. 

Look at our School Requirements page and find a plan that is accepted by your school

If you aren’t sure what your plan does or doesn’t cover,  phone the number on your insurance ID card for help. 

PRO TIP: It’s also possible that the student health center on your school’s campus can offer at least some of the vaccines needed to register for classes. Not only is this convenient, but it will also likely save you some money!

Do you need a  health insurance plan that can cover vaccinations? Our Student Secure Elite plan is a great option!

Posted by ahoontrakul

Originally from Thailand, Apinant grew up in the United States and has extensive international experience traveling throughout Asia, Australia, North America and Europe. He has lived, studied and worked abroad in China, England, Taiwan and Thailand. Apinant is a graduate of the University of Florida with a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Management.

12 thoughts on “Immunizations For Studying In The USA”

Vinay says:

Hello, blog I’m an international student pursuing my masters in California, but I haven’t had any vaccination like mmr or any thing ,where can I approach to have a vaccine free of cost or any charges ,thank you.

Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for visiting. You might want to check out your student health center to see if they have vaccine discounts or if they can suggest somewhere near you that might. Good luck!

Ram says:

Is there a specific list of hospitals in India from which i can get the MMR done.

Hello Ram,

Thanks for your comment. Please contact your insurance company and they will be able to help you with this information. You can also contact the specific hospital that you wish to go to and inquire about the MMR immunization.

Best of luck!

Ben says:

Hey, guys. About to start my school, and I also received immunization requirements, so, I did important shots while I was in high school in my country for example TB, but I don’t think I’ll be able to provide the records of those. What do I do? And the form that needs to be provided must be completed by a physician. Don’t know where to start, would greatly appreciate any information.

Hello Ben,

Thanks for your comment. I would recommend that you contact the doctor or hospital where you received your vaccinations previously and request a copy of your medical records. Any provider national or international should be able to give you a copy of your medical records showing that you had your immunizations done.

If you are not able to provide medical records, you will need to contact your school for any other options. Unfortunately, if you cannot provide proof that you already have those immunizations, your school may require you to have them done again.

Best of luck!

Wendy says:

Hello, I am an international student studying in the U.S. I am holding the F-1 visa. I want to get HPV vaccinie injection here. I am wondering are there places that provide funded HPV vaccine for international students or do I need to pay full price for the vaccinaition? Thank you.

Ramez Stephan says:

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your comment.

I would recommend checking out your student health center to see if they have vaccine discounts or if they can suggest somewhere near you that might.

Good luck!

Grace says:

I have exchange student that the high school requires here to get Varicella shot. Will county health department do this?

Ramez Stephan says:

Hi Grace,

Thank you for your comment.

You might want to try contacting the county health department directly and inquire if it could be done there.

Have a great day!

pradeep says:

i am going to study in(univerisity of southern california) california los angles. what is the list of immunisations i require

Hello Pradeep,

Thanks for contacting us. Please contact the University of Southern California directly for a specific list of immunizations they required. The most common diseases that colleges and universities require immunization against include Measles, Mumps and Rubella, these are often referred to together as a MMR vaccine. Different schools may have different sets of requirements and may also include Hepatitis A and B vaccines, tuberculosis testing, etc.

Best of luck!

Leave a Reply

Compare plans fitting your coverage needs

Get updates via email: