For all the travel addicts out there, it is almost that time of the year! With summer vacation here, you may be planning to take a trip internationally in the coming days and weeks! It is important that you think about your health before and during your trip, to make sure you are in tip-top shape so that you can make the most of your international experience!
At International Student Insurance, we care about you and your wellbeing. Here are some tips on how to stay healthy while traveling:
1. Pack extra medicationYou don’t need to take the whole pharmacy with you, however having a little bag that contains very common over-the-counter medications can be useful. Some of the more common medications include pain relievers (such as Aspirin or Advil), anti-diarrhea medication, antihistamines (such as Benadryl), and of course, any medication you take on a regular basis. Make sure to put them in your carry-on as you never know when the airline will misplace your luggage!
2. Be careful where and what you eat!When you travel to a foreign country, you are in an environment with new bacteria and viruses. Make sure that if you are eating meat, it is in a place with good refrigeration (and not know for electrical outages!). Whether you eat in a nice restaurant or a street food stall in a local market (the best food is usually found there!), you’ll want to check the sanitation, make sure that the food is freshly cooked (and watching the preparation of your food can be almost as fun as eating it!), and that the water is filtered. Be especially careful with raw fruits and vegetables, and if you need something fresh – try an orange or banana, something with a peel!
3. Stay hydratedParticularly if you are traveling during summer, it’s likely that you are going to be working on your tan no matter where you go! Staying hydrated is particularly important, especially if you’re not used to the hot weather. But how can you tell if you’re actually dehydrated? Your skin and mouth will feel very dry, you may experience headaches, dizziness, confusion and will feel a lack of energy. Luckily for us, there’s an easy way to avoid dehydration, and yes, you guessed it! Drink enough liquids! We recommend that you drink bottled water – and make sure the seal is broken when you open the bottle. Another option is a drink with electrolytes, such as Gatorade, which can l help you replace all the good minerals that you lose while sweating profusely.
4. Avoid unnecessary risksSometimes when we go on vacation, we feel invincible. We want to do everything, see everything there’s out there to see and take the perfect pictures for Instagram but sometimes we don’t think about how certain activities can impact our bodies and our health. Certain travel destinations are popular because of activities they promote, such as diving, skiing or hiking. If your body is fit enough but you have no experience in adventure sports, please choose an experienced instructor to guide you or accompany you through the whole process to ensure that you minimize the risks.
5. Get enough sleepSleeping is very important for your overall health and concentration. When you’re sleep deprived, you can’t focus, are irritable and your immune system is weakened, making you a target for viruses in the environment. While you’re traveling, make sure you get enough sleep! Doing this will ensure that you enjoy your trip to the fullest.
6. Buy travel insuranceEven when you take all the precautions, unexpected accidents and illnesses can still happen. That is why purchasing travel insurance can make a big difference in the case of an unfortunate situation.
These simple precautions can make all the difference when it comes to making your travel experience memorable. While we can’t always predict when we might get sick or have an accident, these tips will make sure you are prepared when the unexpected happens!