Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Student Health Insurance

Curricular Practical Training, also referred to as CPT, is popular for international students on a F-1 visa. CPT status allows international students to gain temporary employment as long as the position is related to their academic studies and that students can earn credit at their college or university.

In order to do CPT as an international student, students would need to do a work, practicum, or internship program in their field of study. Many international students look for companies or organizations willing to sponsor students – which many people view as a win-win for both parties. Having a student with an international background globalizes the prospective of the company, and at the same time, students gain “real world” experience utilizing the skills they learned in the classroom.

If you decide to do CPT you will not only have a more broadly based experience in the US, but you will also be able to see what it is like in the workforce as an employee. In some cases, you may even get the opportunity to get paid to help cover some of your school expenses. As an international student interested in Curricular Practical Training, there are a few important considerations that you’ll need to look into. First, you will need to find a sponsoring employer that will provide you with a position in your field of study. Next, you will have to work with your school – typically the International Center – to have them approve your internship as Curricular Practical Training.

Many international students interested in CPT may purchase student health insurance for either themselves or for their family. Because individuals must be a full-time student in order to be eligible for Curriculum Practical Training, many students purchase an international student insurance plan that will cover them for this duration. Student health insurance for Curricular Practical Training is typically required by many universities if it is not already supplied by your school. Many organizations and companies may even ask whether you have insurance before you begin working. In fact, Curricular Practical Training student health insurance can be quite important for individuals as it can be purchased for the length of your program and is designed to cover you for doctor visits, hospitalization, prescription medication, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, etc. For more information about CPT insurance, contact one of our licensed agents for more information.

Posted by Jennifer Frankel

Jennifer is the International Director at International Student Insurance. Jennifer is a graduate of the University of Florida where she holds a Masters in International Business and a Bachelors of Science in Business Administration. She has lived and worked abroad in Mexico, Chile, Costa Rica and England, and traveled extensively in South America, Europe and Asia.

Compare plans fitting your coverage needs

Get updates via email: