As the school season begins you will want to make sure that you are adequately covered in case the unexpected happens. International student health insurance is important to have in place in the event that you need to seek treatment at the doctor or hospital. In many countries, the health system may be structured differently than what you are accustomed to – whether it be nationalized health care or higher medical expenses. It is important to ask questions to determine if you will need a plan to fill in gaps and to provide you with additional health coverage.
There are many factors to consider when choosing the right plan:
- Do you want an emergency-only plan or one that will also cover you in the case you have a cold?
- Will you be playing sports? If so, will this be covered under your policy?
- Are you looking for a plan that will include routine visits, maternity, pre-existing conditions or mental health?
- Does your school provide insurance or do they have any requirements for an individual private plan?
Once you have determined the type of plan you are looking for, you will want to know more about how your plan works. We recommend asking questions including:
- What are my out-of-pocket expenses?
- How are claims paid?
- Is there a network of doctors or hospitals? If so, are they close to you?
- If there is a network, can you also go to an out-of-network provider?
- Who is the insurance company and what is their insurance rating?
Many international students find the Student Secure plan a well-suited plan. Not only is there 24 hour service in the event that you need medical referrals or translation services, but the plan is designed to cover you for doctor visits, hospitalization, emergency medical evacuation and repatriation. The plan is offered in three levels: the Smart, Budget, and Select. These options have been designed to find the best option for you and your needs. Many of these options include maternity, pre-existing conditions, sports coverage, and mental health.
If you have any questions about your international student insurance for the upcoming school year, our licensed agents are standing by to assist you throughout the process.