If this is your first time researching international health insurance, it’s more than likely an overwhelming experience. When searching through the long list of benefits and exclusions, find a plan that has the following must-have insurance benefits:
- Doctor Visits- Even if you are visiting or studying your host country for a short time period, you can still get injured or ill. Keep in mind that you will want to enjoy what time you do have abroad, not spend it counting down the days until you return home so you can visit the doctor.
- Hospitalization- Being hospitalized can quickly result in a high bill. The following instances can easily drain your savings account if you don’t have a plan that covers the must-have insurance benefits:
- Car Crash: $150,000+
- Appendicitis: $60,493
- Fractured Humerus: $47,445
- Fractured Clavicle: $18,393
- Emergency Medical Evacuation- Depending on where you are located, you might not be near a facility that can properly handle your medical emergency. In this instance, it may be necessary to be taken somewhere that is able to treat you. Transportation can be done by ground, but if the distance is far enough it can require a helicopter evacuation. While this option can save your life, it comes with a high price tag.
- Repatriation of Remains- While this benefit isn’t a pleasant one to think about, it’s important to consider when looking at must-have insurance benefits. A repatriation of remains benefit will ensure that your remains are transported home safely in the event of your death.
Keep in mind that this is just a list of must-have benefits to start from. Find a plan that will also meet your own personal needs and any governmental or school benefits you need to have.