An Envisage International Website | Contact

Contact Us

Toll Free: (877) 758-4391
Direct: +1 (904) 758-4391

International Student Insurance in South Africa

There are over 60,000 international students in South Africa and it’s no secret why there are so many drawn to this county. South Africa is home to both excitement and beauty. There are plenty of mountains for the more adventurous souls to explore and miles of beaches for those who are looking to just relax. Additionally, South Africa is a great place to discover wildlife! Those looking to see the big five: lions, buffalos, rhinos, leopards and elephants will have plenty of chances to do so at one of the many natural wildlife reserves throughout the country.

Of course there is plenty of nature to be found throughout South Africa, but it also has a more developed side for international students to experience. There are a number of modern cities that provide students with the perfect combination of culture and entertainment to enjoy while pursuing their studies. A few popular cities for students to consider studying abroad in include Cape Town, Johannesburg, Pretoria and Durban.

Those who will be studying as an international student in South Africa must apply and be approved for a study permit and it is better to do this sooner than later. Getting approved for a permit means the student will need to show they have sufficient funds for their studies and that they have adequate international student insurance in South Africa.

One great option when it comes to international student insurance in South Africa is the Atlas Travel plan. This plan provides coverage for doctor visits, hospitalization, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation of remains and organized sports. Students who purchase this plan are also able to choose their own deductible and coverage amount.

If you are in need of international student insurance in South Africa contact one of our licensed agents today for more information.

*A giraffe silhouetted photo courtesy of Shutterstock

Posted by Bryanna Davis

Bryanna joined International Student Insurance in 2011 after returning to the United States from teaching English in China. Her interest in international education, sparked initially by her own study abroad experience in Wales, led her to the company. Bryanna is originally from Missouri and is a graduate from the University of Central Missouri.

41 thoughts on “International Student Insurance in South Africa”

ashu abraham says:

i am looking for student insurance policy to buy to study in italy.
i am in south africa
thanks
cell-0027736199300

Hi Ashu,

It was nice speaking to you on the phone today. I’m glad that you were able to find a plan that meets your needs. If you have any questions on your plan in the future, please feel free to let us know.

Jade Abuga says:

Hallo,
I am a Kenyan planning to Join UCT South Africa. from May 2015. Kindly get me a quotation for 2 adults and two children, 7 and 1.5 years old.
is the payment done upon arrival or before travelling?

Sam Enoh says:

Hi,
I live in Cameroon and I am planning to take a course in Stellenbosch University. Do you have a product that would benefit me?
Regards,
Sam

Hi Sam,

Yes, if you’re a citizen of Cameroon and will need coverage in South Africa we have a few plans that work for you. One great option will be our International Travel Medical plan– it’s great to cover new, eligible injuries and illnesses. Please contact us with any other questions you might have.

Patrick says:

Hi my wife is applying for study permit so will you be able to assist with insurance policy for her to be able to apply for a permit

Hi Patrick,

We have a number of great options for international students and are happy to help. One great plan suggestion is the Student Secure plan, however, to ensure we suggest the very best option for her we will follow up through email.

Belinda GUy says:

Hi

My daughter is studying in South Africa at the moment. I would like to know what kind of health insurance I can get for her>

Belinda

Hi Belinda,

We have a number of great options for her, however, to help ensure that we find the best plan to meet her needs we will need a bit more information. I’ve sent you an email so we can gather further details and help you find the best plan for her during her trip in South Africa.

Ceejay says:

Hi,
I am currently in Nigeria. About to commence postgrad studies next April at Stellenbosch University South Africa. Will appreciate information on available medical insurance options for international students. The studies are arranged in blocks 2 – 3 weeks per period twice a year, more like a senior executives course blended into regular postgrad flow. I still plan to maintain my residence and business in Nigeria through the time. I am looking at the most cost-effective 6 months cover asap to facilitate my study permit application. Please advise. Regards, Ceejay.

Hi Ceejay,

Thanks for contacting us! Since you need coverage for a 6 month period as an international student, we would suggest the Atlas Travel Plan. It’s priced on a daily rate, so you can purchase just 6 months of coverage and it can help pay for your doctor visits, prescriptions, hospitalizations and much more! http://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/travel-medical-insurance/

Amos Misana Mabagala says:

I’m Tanzanian,
My son is appling for study permit at Crawford College in South Africa.
Please will you able to assit with heath Insurance for him
Thanks,
Amos

Hi Amos,

Yes, we certainly can- we have a number of great insurance plans that will work for him during his studies. I’ve sent you an email so we can gather further details and assist you further.

Janine says:

Hi. If i study In the US and have student cover abroad. How can I get cover when I come back to SA to see family. I’m a SA citizen

temba says:

Please I’m looking for study medical aid for my daughter in South to renew her permit

Hello Temba, thank you for visiting our blog. We have a few plans that would be an excellent option to provide your daughter with coverage, however, to help ensure that we find the best plan to meet her needs we will need a bit more information. I’ve sent you a follow up email to ensure that we can provide her with the best plan for her trip in South Africa!

kavi dosaja says:

Hi,

I will be moving to pretoria in january until december to study sports management, however i need to apply for a health insurance plan ASAP. please advise.

Leah Hammond says:

Hi Kavi,

Thank you for visiting our blog!

The Student Secure is an excellent plan option for international students studying inside the USA. The plan comes in four levels Smart, Budget, Select and Elite and offers inpatient and outpatient medical coverage up to $200,000 (smart), $250,000 (budget), $300,000 (select) or $500,000 (elite).

The plan also includes benefits such as:
* Hospitalizations and doctors visits
* Prescription medications
* Mental health
* Emergency medical evacuation/ repatriation
* Pre-existing conditions (acute onset only with the smart level)
* Maternity and Sports Coverage (budget, select and elite plan only)
* Personal Liability (elite plan only)

For students inside the US, aged 18-24 years old, the pricing is as follows:
* Smart – $0.95 per day or $29 a month
* Budget – $1.45 per day or $44 a month
* Select – $2.93 per day or $89 a month
* Elite – $4.08 per day or $124 a month

Please also note, there is an additional $5 fee if you choose to pay your plan monthly.

You can apply directly online through our website, and receive instant confirmation by email at: https://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/student-health-insurance/apply/

Please let us know if you have any questions!

jennah hurree says:

Hello,
I am an international student looking for health insurance for a period of 3-4 years in south africa. Could you kindly recommend me a medical scheme, please?

Hello Jennah,

Thanks for your blog comment! The Student Secure is an excellent plan option for international students studying outside of their home country. The plan comes in four levels Smart, Budget, Select and Elite and offers inpatient and outpatient medical coverage up to $200,000 (smart), $250,000 (budget), $300,000 (select) or $500,000 (elite).

The plan also includes benefits such as:
* Hospitalizations and doctors visits
* Prescription medications
* Mental health
* Emergency medical evacuation/ repatriation
* Pre-existing conditions (acute onset only with the smart level)
* Maternity and Sports Coverage (budget, select and elite plan only)
* Personal Liability (elite plan only)

It is available with a daily or monthly rate, and monthly payment options – allowing you the flexibility to purchase the coverage you need. This plan will allow you to purchase it from as little as 15 days all the way to one year and it is also renewable up to 4 years total.

You can obtain a quote or apply directly online through our website, and receive instant confirmation by email at: https://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/student-health-insurance/apply/

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mamba Felix says:

Hi
I need a medical aid to cover for one year for secure myself a study permit to study in University of the Western Cape, which cover can be suitable for me

Regards
Mamba Felix

Hello Mamba,

Thanks for your blog comment. A great plan for international students studying outside of their home country is the Student Secure plan. I have emailed you more details about this plan. Please contact us with any other questions you might have.

javan says:

I am looking for affordable student assurance plan i am supposed to join uct in 20 days time. kindly help

Hi Javan,

Thanks for your comment! Since you need coverage for a 20-day period as an international student, we would suggest the Atlas Travel Plan. It’s priced on a daily rate, so you can purchase just 20 days of coverage and it can help pay for your doctor visits, prescriptions, hospitalizations and much more! http://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/travel-medical-insurance

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Nigel Saunders says:

Hi Javan,

We are Zimbabweans and have 2 daughters in Cape Town both of whom are studying there. My question is can you offer us a package that can cover their personal effects such as clothing computers, cell phones etc. They do have medical insurance and vehicle insurance.
Kind regards,
Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, we do not offer a plan that will just cover your daughters’ personal property. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Best of luck!

Dalia says:

Hi,my son is studying in South Africa with student permit visa and I am looking for student medical insurance with dental coverage.

please send me your best offer and both option monthly payment and yearly payment.

Thanks in advance

Hi Dalia,

Thanks for your blog comment. Our Student Secure plan is a great plan for international students studying outside of their home country and will also cover emergency dental coverage on the Budget, Select and Elite levels. You can view the benefits of the plan here: https://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/student-health-insurance/benefits.php

I have sent you more information about this plan to your email.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Dylan says:

Hi,

My wife’s children are going to study in Cape Town, South Africa. They’re aged 7,10 and 12. My wife already has medical coverage and the boys need a medical plan to obtain study visas. What plan is best suited for minors?

Dylan says:

Forgot to mention, it would be for a minimum period of 12 months.

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for your blog comment. I would recommend our Student Health Advantage plan for your kids. I have sent you an email with more information about the plan.

Have a great day!

Lihle says:

Thank you for your post. Kindly assist with the most affordable Student Medical Aid for International Students, preferably such that doesn’t require the full upfront payment. Your earliest assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Lihle,

Thanks for your blog comment. If you will be a full time international student at a college or university in South Africa, we can recommend the Student Secure plan. This plan offers monthly payment options as well as full payment.

I have sent you more information about this plan to your email.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

ELSA GEMO says:

Hi,

I need health insurance information for a 13-year-old who is going to study in South Africa.
Is it possible to have coverage only for him, without the parents?

Hi Elsa,

Thanks for your comment. I would suggest our Student Health Advantage plan for this student. He can apply without his parents and will offer him coverage anywhere outside of his home country. I have email you more information about the plan.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Joyline says:

I am a Zimbabwean currently in Antigua and Barbuda. My husband is looking for one year medical cover in South Africa as soon as possible for his work visa

Hi Joyline,

Thanks for your comment. I would recommend our Atlas Travel plan for your husband and you. I have sent you an email with more information.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

A. R says:

Hello,
I am from Madagascar.
I I will be studying in Cape Town for five years.
I am looking for health insurance for the duration of my study.
Could you please counsel me which insurance is adapted for me.
I need also to contract this insurance as quickly as possible for my visa
Thank you very much for your help and your counsel.
Regards,
AR

Hi A. R.

Thanks for your comment. I would recommend our Student Health Advantage plan for your time in Cape Town. I have sent you more information about this plan to your email.
Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Musarurwa Magwa says:

Hello , I need to buy a Travel Isurance for my daughter who will be going to Poland for studies. The visa application requires a 365 days cover, please advised me on the money i have to pay. Kind regards.

M, Magwa.

Hello Musarurwa,

Thank you for your comment.

We have replied directly to your email in order to assist you further, kindly check your inbox.

We look forward to assisting you.