Spanish Visa Insurance Requirements

Many international students are going to Spain for studies and it’s important to have a health insurance plan that will meet the requirements for your student visa in Spain.

To apply for your student visa, you will have to present a letter (visa letter) from your insurance provider confirming that you have “international insurance coverage for health and accident with a minimum coverage equal to 30,000 euros (or its equivalent in US dollars) during the planning period of your stay in Spain”. Please note that a photocopy of your insurance card will not be sufficient proof. Your visa letter, should indicate your name, policy number, type of insurance coverage received overseas (i.e. accident, sickness, evacuation and repatriation) the dollar amount of your insurance coverage, and the effective and termination dates of your insurance policy.

There are two plans that work great and meet the requirements for Spain. They are the Atlas International and the Student Secure plans.

The Atlas International travel medical plan provides coverage outside your home country for inpatient and outpatient services, prescription drugs, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, doctor office visits, etc.. This plan allows you to choose your maximum coverage limit (from $50,000 to $1,000,000) and your deductible (from $0 to $2,500). You do not have to be a student to be eligible for this plan.

The Student Secure comes in two levels, budget and select. The plan provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical coverage up to $250,000 (budget) or $300,000 (select). The plan provides coverage for maternity, mental health, prescription drugs, sports coverage, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, doctor office visits, etc.

The main difference between the two plans is that the Atlas International plan doesn’t provide coverage for maternity, mental health and pre-existing conditions and the Student Secure plan is designed to allow you to make monthly payments.

How long does it take for the visa to be ready?
Generally, you should apply for your visa about 8-12 weeks before the date of your arrival in Spain. First, you must have a passport valid for at least six months after the date that your program ends, so be sure to allow adequate time to obtain or renew your passport and get the visa application processed.

For more detailed information about Spain student insurance coverage, please see our dedicate page for those needing coverage in Spain.

Spanish Image provided by Shutterstock

Compare plans fitting your coverage needs

Get updates via email: