Envisage International | Contact

International Student Athletic Coverage

Many international students playing sports may realize that their student policy excludes coverage for athletic activities. Whether playing football or basketball, you will want to know the type of International Student Athletic Coverage coverage that is specifically included in your plan. For those who do not already have a policy, you will look at many different policies with different benefits. The best advice is to check if the plan has sports coverage already included or if you can add it as an option. Be sure to ask and review the exclusions so there are no surprises! International student health insurance policies are more likely to cover this – however you will want to confirm by reviewing the benefits and exclusions of your plan.

One popular option for international student athletes is the Student Secure plan. The plan is offered in four levels, the Smart, Budget, Select and Elite, so that you can find the plan that specifically meets your needs. The Budget level covers organized sports up to $3,000 per accident and the Select and Elite levels cover organized sports up to $5,000 per accident (the Smart excludes coverage for organized sports) – whether it be intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural or a club sport sanctioned by your school.

If you would like further information, please call one of our licensed agent to discuss your insurance needs.

Posted by Bryanna Davis

Bryanna joined International Student Insurance in 2011 after returning to the United States from teaching English in China. Her interest in international education, sparked initially by her own study abroad experience in Wales, led her to the company. Bryanna is originally from Missouri and is a graduate from the University of Central Missouri.

50 thoughts on “International Student Athletic Coverage”

srdjan lazic says:

Hi,my son Pavle Lazic got scholarship from Indian prep basketball academy.We are from Serbia.How much cost insurance per month for athletics student.Thank you !!!

Hi Srdjan,

Thanks for visiting! Your son would need the Budget or Select level if he needs organized school sport coverage. However, the price will depend on his age. You can view the pricing chart here.

Connor Betteridge says:

My son is at Emanuel college doing soccer , he has travel insurance but requires sports cover . Could you get back to me with a quote .

Hi Connor,

Thanks for your message. We are happy to get you a quote, however, the correct price will depend on his age. I have sent you an email so we can help you further with finding the perfect plan for your son.

Ilze Teilane says:

Hi,
I play basketball at USAO in Oklahoma. I have a pre-existing condition that requires to have regular cardiologist (echocardiogram) check-up before and after the season. Is it something that your insurance plan would cover?

Hi Ilze,

Thank you for visiting.

Our International Student Health Insurance plan is one you will want to check out. This plan has $5000 in organized sports coverage and only a 6 month waiting period for eligible pre-existing conditions. You can view more on this plan here. Keep in mind you would need to be on the plan for 6 months prior to having coverage for a pre-existing condition.

Connie Anskaitis says:

My daughter is travelling to the US as a student athlete (track and field) and requires travel and medical insurance. Would the Student Secure Plan – Select level be appropriate? She needs to be covered for her travel to and from the States also. Is a separate insurance needed for this?

Hi Connie,

Thanks for visiting! The Student Secure Select is a great option for medical coverage (including organized sports) while inside the US. This plan does include a few travel benefits including terrorism and emergency reunion and she can have medical coverage during her journey to the US (when outside her home country) but it will not insure travel expenses such as her flight. If you have any remaining questions please feel free to email us at info@internationalstudentinsurance.com.

H Hutchings says:

Hi.I am a staff of a International boarding school in the US. All our student have sports insurance. However, some of our students who play rugby would like to purchase additional insurance if possible. Could you please let me know what plan you would recommend them to purchase and the maximum coverage in case of injury during sports sessions. Thanks.

Hi H. Hutchings,

Thanks for your message! We have a couple of plans that might work well for your students. I have sent you an email with further information and so we can further discuss your needs.

I look forward to helping you further!

Lauren says:

Hi
I’m interested in sports insurance as a student athlete for woamn’s soccer in Iowa.

Look forward to hearing from you with price quote ect.

Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for visiting! The Student Secure Select plan is a great option if you need organized sports coverage. The price will vary depending on your age and how long you need coverage but to give you an idea of the price it will be $83 monthly if you’re under 25. Please feel free to gather a more accurate price here or contact us and we are happy to do so for you.

Tom Hughes says:

Lauren:

I am the AD at a small college. We are looking at various forms of Medical insurance for our international student athletes. Could you please email me some information on your various plans.

Thank you!

Tom Hughes

Hi Tom,

I have sent you further information as requested, please feel free to reply with any questions you have.

Jessica Thornton says:

We take US (and some Canadian) student athletes abroad to study and play their sport. One main sport we offer is lacrosse but I did not see that in your coverage. Please advise.

Thank you!

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your comment. The Student Health Advantage is a great option that also includes coverage for Intercollegiate, Interscholastic, Intramural or Club sports. It will work for eligible students from the United States and Canada playing lacrosse during their studies abroad. If you have any questions on this plan please feel free to contact us.

harriett pallett says:

hi there
i am a international student athlete who plays womens soccer in the USA coming from england, i have been offered an insurance plan by my school that it covers specifically for athletes. But i wanted to look else were to see if there is any better deals, from being from england being an student athelte in the states.Can you give me any useful information or sites i could use. That would be wonderful
Harriett

Hi Harriett,

That’s good that you’re exploring your options. One plan that you might be interested in is our Student Secure- on the Elite, Select and Budget level you will have organized sports coverage ($5,000 on the Elite and Select, $3,000 on the Budget). Check out the Student Secure plan and see if it’s a good option for you.

Chris says:

Hi
My son is at university in USA playing rugby and needs a policy with a higher per claim cap than the standard $5000. Do you have a product with a higher cap please ?
Thanks

Hi Chris,

Thanks for visiting.

Unfortunately, $5,000 for eligible, intercollegiate sports is the highest amount of coverage the plans we offer include. However, please keep in mind that on the Student Secure Select and Elite levels the $5,000 sports coverage limit is per injury.

Sheirra Stokes says:

Hello,

My name is Sheirra and I’m 19 years old. I have a soccer scholarship to Brewton-Parker College. I don’t have any type of insurance. Do your insurance cover medical, dental, and vision?

Hi Sheirra,

Thanks for visiting.

Our Student Secure plan (budget, select or elite levels) are great options for international students who need sports coverage. This plan will cover medical items like doctor’s visits, hospitalization and emergency dental, but it will not cover wellness. Check out all of the benefits and see if it’s a good option for you.

Sheirra Stokes says:

Can I still get the Insurance even if I am a United States citizen. I’m not a international students athletic.

Hi Sheirra,

We do have many plans available for many different situations. However, we will need a bit more information on your situation before being able to recommend a plan. Please contact us right away so we can best assist you.

Bhemma says:

Hii

My name is bhemma am international student in USA am study undergraduate in computer science and am study in virginia but am live in new jersey and i want to join wrestling school as soon as because this is my age to build my career goal so please help me thanks!!!

Hi Bhemma,

Thanks for visiting. Are you looking for an insurance plan that will cover you while you wrestle in the US? We look forward to your reply. If so, medical expenses for Injuries or Illnesses resulting from participation in intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, or club sports are covered up to $5,000 on the Elite and Select plan, and $3,000 on the Budget plan. Please let us know if you have any other questions on the Student Secure plan.

Bort Edwards says:

Hi Bryanna,
As a J1 visa holder recently relocating to Washington DC I was considering buying your Budget plan, however I am itching to play Aussie Rules again and the USAFL website stipulates that all players must be:
“covered by a personal or group insurance policy that has $100,000 or more in coverage for medical, hospitalization, and other expenses of treatment and care should I be injured or become ill while or as a result of participating in any United States Australian Football League”
(https://usafl.com/medical)

It appears that this would not be covered by your plans, correct?
Sincerely, and sadly
Bort

Hi Bort,

Thank you for message and interest in our plans! I have sent you an email with further information to assist you on this matter. I look forward to helping you further on finding a plan!

Garry UK says:

Hi Bryanna,

My son, Jamie, 18yrs old (living in UK), is starting at College in New York State on a Soccer Scholarship in July/Aug this year.

Can you please advise me on what Medical (and any other) Insurance he will need.

Many thanks

Garry

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your message. Our Student Secure plan at the Budget, Select, or Elite levels provides intercollegiate sports coverage and could be a great choice for your son. If your son has specific insurance requirements, please send us an email at info@internationalstudentinsurance.com for help. You can learn more about the Student Secure plan here: http://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/student-health-insurance/benefits.php.

Chitel says:

Hi Bryanna,

My son is from Curacao. But study and swims with a scholarship at a college in the USA. If he travels outside the USA to compete in another country, does the insurance of his school cover this.

Gr,
Chitel

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your message, however since we don’t offer your son’s insurance policy we aren’t able to answer this question. Please contact his insurance company for a better idea of the coverage offered by his plan.

Rich says:

Hi Bryanna,

We live in Ontario, Canada and my 11 year old son plays in a football league in New York. I am looking to buy him medical coverage for the season. Can I purchase insurance from you for that situation?

Hi Rich,

I’m happy to answer your question on behalf of my colleague, Bryanna. Our Student Health Advantage plan offers intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural or club sports, as well as doctor visits, hospitalizations, prescriptions, mental health and much more! Here’s a link to view the benefits of the plan:

Feel free to email us at info@internationalstudentinsurance.com if you have any questions.

Lee Williams says:

I am a College Soccer coach and I am searching for international student athlete insurance as insurances that I have found does not contain intercollegiate sports. do any of your plans contain that? how can i see the benefit policy and compare it with the minimum requirements at our school?

Hi Lee,

Yes, our Student Secure Budget, Select and Elite levels all contain coverage for intercollegiate sports coverage for full time international students at a college or university. You can view more on this plan benefits here.

Sina says:

Hi, i need a quote for my son from Australia who is an athlete going to college and playing football in California.

Cheers

Hi Sina,

Thanks for visiting. If you son is already in California studying as a full time international student at a college or university then a great plan option that has coverage for organized sports is our Student Secure Budget, Select and Elite plans. You can buy the plan and view pricing on this plan here.

Perry Gail says:

Hello,

We have a nine year old visitor who will be attending a basketball camp in California. He is an international student (from Mexico) and is 9 years old. The camp is from July 24th – July 28th. Would you have a plan that would cover him?

Hi Perry,

Thanks for your message. Out Atlas plan provides great coverage outside of a student’s home country for as little as five days. Unfortunately for such a short period of time we don’t have any plans offering organized sports coverage, but the plan is perfect for new injuries or illnesses, such as the flu. You can read more about this plan here:https://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/travel-medical-insurance/. Have a great day.

hi there says:

My son is going to South Carolina soon to play soccer and attend college. I understand by reading some of the above questions that the budget or select options are good, thanks for that information does that cover hospitalisation and is it capped ??.
Do you also have any info regarding travel insurance for international student as well please.

great information on here

Leah Hammond says:

Hi John,

Thanks for visiting our blog! Our Student Secure plan is a great option for your son while he plays soccer at his college. The Budget level will cover up to $3,000 per eligible sports related injury or illness, and the Select and Elite levels would cover up to $5,000 per eligible sports related injury or illness for intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural and club sports. This coverage will include things like hospitalizations, doctors visits, and prescription medication.

We do have lots of insurance options available – including a great travel plan called our Atlas Travel Medical plan that will cover anyone while they are traveling away from their home country for as little as 5 days up to 364 days. You can view more about this plan here!

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with!

john says:

Thanks for that. Will I need to purchase 2 policies ?

And can I purchase online with immediate cover ??

Hi John,

Thanks for you reply. You do not need to buy two plans. The Student Secure (budget or higher) can provide your son with coverage for new eligible medical items (including organized sports coverage) and it also will cover him anywhere outside his home country when he chooses to include the US in coverage. You can buy this plan right online and have coverage start right away if he’s already a full time international student at a college or university and outside his home country.

Leanne says:

Hi there, I have an 18 year old son who is attending a college in Utah for a soccer scholarship, your insurance states it covers athlete injuries and intercollegiate sports which is what he requires however when I start the online process it does not allow me because I am in Australia can you please advise how I can apply for your insurance please.

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for visiting. If you’re currently in Australia then we have a great alternative plan that will provide your son with intercollegiate coverage if he’s a full time international student at a college in Utah. You can check out the Student Health Advantage plan and see if it’s a good option for your son.

Paul D. Cooper says:

My 15 year old son is currently living in Australia, but has an opportunity to play basketball at a Florida high school for the coming winter season. Do you have a plan that might be appropriate for him?

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comment. The Student Health Advantage plan is a great solution for high school students needing sports coverage in the US. Here’s a link to read about the benefits, exclusions, premiums and more: http://www.internationalstudentinsurance.com/student-health-advantage/.

cl says:

I need insurance for a brazilian citizen who is studying in canada on a travel permit– he does not require a student permit for full time study, as he is only studying for 6 months. the school is in canada, but the student needs coverage for american football games played in the United states. which policy or policy + riders do you suggest?

Leah Hammond says:

Hi Clayton,

Thank you for visiting our blog. I have sent you a direct email so we can get a little more information from you to suggest the best plan!