Envisage International | Contact

International Student Athletic Coverage

Many international students playing sports may realize that their student policy excludes coverage for athletic activities. Whether playing football or basketball, you will want to know the type of International Student Athletic Coverage coverage that is specifically included in your plan. For those who do not already have a policy, you will look at many different policies with different benefits. The best advice is to check if the plan has sports coverage already included or if you can add it as an option. Be sure to ask and review the exclusions so there are no surprises! International student health insurance policies are more likely to cover this – however you will want to confirm by reviewing the benefits and exclusions of your plan.

One popular option for international student athletes is the Student Secure plan. The plan is offered in three levels, the Smart, Budget and Select level, so that you can find the plan that specifically meets your needs. The Budget and Select level provide coverage for organized sports – whether it be intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural or just a club sport. Covered organized sports are: basketball, baseball, cross country, dance team, football, golf, kickball, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, volleyball, weight training, and wrestling.

If you would like further information, please call one of our licensed agent to discuss your insurance needs.

Posted by

Bryanna joined International Student Insurance in 2011 after returning to the United States from teaching English in China. Her interest in international education, sparked initially by her own study abroad experience in Wales, led her to the company. Bryanna is originally from Missouri and is a graduate from the University of Central Missouri.

26 Responses to “International Student Athletic Coverage”

srdjan lazic says:

Hi,my son Pavle Lazic got scholarship from Indian prep basketball academy.We are from Serbia.How much cost insurance per month for athletics student.Thank you !!!

Hi Srdjan,

Thanks for visiting! Your son would need the Budget or Select level if he needs organized school sport coverage. However, the price will depend on his age. You can view the pricing chart here.

Connor Betteridge says:

My son is at Emanuel college doing soccer , he has travel insurance but requires sports cover . Could you get back to me with a quote .

Hi Connor,

Thanks for your message. We are happy to get you a quote, however, the correct price will depend on his age. I have sent you an email so we can help you further with finding the perfect plan for your son.

Ilze Teilane says:

I play basketball at USAO in Oklahoma. I have a pre-existing condition that requires to have regular cardiologist (echocardiogram) check-up before and after the season. Is it something that your insurance plan would cover?

Hi Ilze,

Thank you for visiting.

Our International Student Health Insurance plan is one you will want to check out. This plan has $5000 in organized sports coverage and only a 6 month waiting period for eligible pre-existing conditions. You can view more on this plan here. Keep in mind you would need to be on the plan for 6 months prior to having coverage for a pre-existing condition.

Connie Anskaitis says:

My daughter is travelling to the US as a student athlete (track and field) and requires travel and medical insurance. Would the Student Secure Plan – Select level be appropriate? She needs to be covered for her travel to and from the States also. Is a separate insurance needed for this?

Hi Connie,

Thanks for visiting! The Student Secure Select is a great option for medical coverage (including organized sports) while inside the US. This plan does include a few travel benefits including terrorism and emergency reunion and she can have medical coverage during her journey to the US (when outside her home country) but it will not insure travel expenses such as her flight. If you have any remaining questions please feel free to email us at info@internationalstudentinsurance.com.

H Hutchings says:

Hi.I am a staff of a International boarding school in the US. All our student have sports insurance. However, some of our students who play rugby would like to purchase additional insurance if possible. Could you please let me know what plan you would recommend them to purchase and the maximum coverage in case of injury during sports sessions. Thanks.

Hi H. Hutchings,

Thanks for your message! We have a couple of plans that might work well for your students. I have sent you an email with further information and so we can further discuss your needs.

I look forward to helping you further!

Lauren says:

I’m interested in sports insurance as a student athlete for woamn’s soccer in Iowa.

Look forward to hearing from you with price quote ect.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for visiting! The Student Secure Select plan is a great option if you need organized sports coverage. The price will vary depending on your age and how long you need coverage but to give you an idea of the price it will be $83 monthly if you’re under 25. Please feel free to gather a more accurate price here or contact us and we are happy to do so for you.

Tom Hughes says:

I am the AD at a small college. We are looking at various forms of Medical insurance for our international student athletes. Could you please email me some information on your various plans.

Thank you!

Tom Hughes

Hi Tom,

I have sent you further information as requested, please feel free to reply with any questions you have.

Jessica Thornton says:

We take US (and some Canadian) student athletes abroad to study and play their sport. One main sport we offer is lacrosse but I did not see that in your coverage. Please advise.

Thank you!

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your comment. The Student Health Advantage is a great option that also includes coverage for Intercollegiate, Interscholastic, Intramural or Club sports. It will work for eligible students from the United States and Canada playing lacrosse during their studies abroad. If you have any questions on this plan please feel free to contact us.

harriett pallett says:

hi there
i am a international student athlete who plays womens soccer in the USA coming from england, i have been offered an insurance plan by my school that it covers specifically for athletes. But i wanted to look else were to see if there is any better deals, from being from england being an student athelte in the states.Can you give me any useful information or sites i could use. That would be wonderful

Hi Harriett,

That’s good that you’re exploring your options. One plan that you might be interested in is our Student Secure- on the Elite, Select and Budget level you will have organized sports coverage ($5,000 on the Elite and Select, $3,000 on the Budget). Check out the Student Secure plan and see if it’s a good option for you.

Chris says:

My son is at university in USA playing rugby and needs a policy with a higher per claim cap than the standard $5000. Do you have a product with a higher cap please ?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for visiting.

Unfortunately, $5,000 for eligible, intercollegiate sports is the highest amount of coverage the plans we offer include. However, please keep in mind that on the Student Secure Select and Elite levels the $5,000 sports coverage limit is per injury.

Sheirra Stokes says:

My name is Sheirra and I’m 19 years old. I have a soccer scholarship to Brewton-Parker College. I don’t have any type of insurance. Do your insurance cover medical, dental, and vision?

Hi Sheirra,

Thanks for visiting.

Our Student Secure plan (budget, select or elite levels) are great options for international students who need sports coverage. This plan will cover medical items like doctor’s visits, hospitalization and emergency dental, but it will not cover wellness. Check out all of the benefits and see if it’s a good option for you.

Sheirra Stokes says:

Can I still get the Insurance even if I am a United States citizen. I’m not a international students athletic.

Hi Sheirra,

We do have many plans available for many different situations. However, we will need a bit more information on your situation before being able to recommend a plan. Please contact us right away so we can best assist you.

Bhemma says:

My name is bhemma am international student in USA am study undergraduate in computer science and am study in virginia but am live in new jersey and i want to join wrestling school as soon as because this is my age to build my career goal so please help me thanks!!!

Hi Bhemma,

Thanks for visiting. Are you looking for an insurance plan that will cover you while you wrestle in the US? We look forward to your reply. If so, medical expenses for Injuries or Illnesses resulting from participation in intercollegiate, interscholastic, intramural, or club sports are covered up to $5,000 on the Elite and Select plan, and $3,000 on the Budget plan. Please let us know if you have any other questions on the Student Secure plan.