International Student Insurance Explained
As a general concept, insurance is not hard to understand; however, the intricacies of individual insurance plans and trying to understand all the different definitions, benefits and exclusions can be overwhelming for many students — especially if English is not your first language!
So where do you turn to for questions like:
- What is a deductible?
- How can I compare different plans?
- What specific requirements does my J1 visa need?
- What is the healthcare system like in the USA?
The International Student Insurance "Insurance Explained" section is here to help — with information available in video and article format to help you dissect and understand the world of insurance!
Understanding Insurance Videos
We have a number of short videos to help you understand and learn more about the world of international insurance:
After you have watched our introduction videos, the remainder of our international student insurance explained section delves deeper into the various details of international student insurance and into various topics. Each article below explains a different topic, starting with the different types of health insurance plans available to an international student, and then moving onto other core areas such as J1 and F1 insurance coverage.
Please view below to start your understanding of international insurance:
International Insurance Explained
Learn more about the various types of international insurance that are available to you as a student - it will help you understand the different coverages they can all offer:
- International Student Health Insurance
- International Travel Medical Insurance
- International Medical Insurance
- European Travel Insurance
- Trip Cancellation Insurance
- Trip Interruption Insurance
- Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance
- Dental Insurance/ Dental Discount Plans
- Short Term -vs- Long Term Health Insurance
Making sure you thoroughly research your insurance plan before you purchase your coverage can help you find the best option available to you and will avoid any surprises later:
- Important Insurance Terms
- Exclusions to Watch Out For
- Tips for Evaluating Student Insurance
- Finding an International Student Health Insurance Plan
- Understanding Travel Insurance Benefits
- Health Insurance Benefits You Need To Have
- Student Insurance Myths and Realities
- Top 10 Student Insurance Buying Tips
- Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance Explained
- Why you need International Student Insurance
F1 Visa Insurance
One of the more popular student visa's, the F1 visa is used by many students and so knowing about the visa and all its requirements is an important aspect for any student:
- F1 Insurance Overview
- What is an F1 Visa?
- How to Apply for an F1 Visa
- Health Insurance Requirements for the F1 Visa
- Maintaining your F1 Visa Status
- F1 Visa Interview Questions
J1 Visa Insurance
The J1 visa is also very popular for students, especially scholars, and this visa does have specific insurance requirements that need to be met, so our J1 section will provide all this information:
- J1 Insurance Overview
- What is a J1 Visa?
- How to apply for a J1 Visa
- Preparing for your J1 Visa Interview
- Health Insurance Requirements for the J1 Visa
OPT (Optional Practical Training)
An option for international students is to undertake optional practical training after their studies, allowing them to work in the USA for a certain length of time:
Learning about how you can understand your insurance plan and the process and systems can help de-mystify a lot of the questions you may have:
- Impact of the ACA on International Students
- The US Healthcare System
- How Insurance is Regulated in the USA
- Student Health Insurance in the US
- Understanding Out of Pocket Expenses
- Getting the most from your insurance plan
- The claims submission process in detail
- Insurance Provider Networks
Health and Safety Abroad
Learn about top tips and tricks for when you are abroad to stay fit and healthy and avoid falling into traps that can make you sick and ruin your experience abroad:
- Top 5 Ways to Stay Fit and Healthy Abroad
- Culture Shock for International Students
- Maintaining Mental and Physical Well-being Abroad
- 5 Tips To Overcome Depression While Studying Abroad
Comparing Coverage Types
Learn how to compare the different types of insurance coverage that are available to most international students, and work out which option is a better plan for you and your needs: