Health Insurance to Study Abroad in Spain

Spain_97702088Studying abroad can be the most exciting, fulfilling time of your life. However, a lot of planning and foresight is required to prepare yourself for your adventure. Many students forget an important aspect of traveling abroad – health insurance! Many study visas in different countries require you to be covered, and Spain is no exception.

If you’re planning to study abroad in Spain, don’t forget to apply for health insurance before your visa interview, so that you can show proof that you will be covered during your trip. Spanish visa requirements differ depending on where you are coming from – an EU country or a non-EU country.

EU Citizens – If you are a citizen of the European Union, the European Economic Area, or Switzerland where you are covered under your home country’s social security system, you can get proof of health insurance coverage by requesting a European Health Insurance Card from your public health authorities. Be sure to request your card before leaving your home country, as you may need to show it when arriving in Spain.

Non-EU Citizens – If you are from the US or any other country outside the of the European Union, you are required to purchase individual health insurance with a maximum coverage amount of at least €30,000 or $50,000. The Atlas Travel plan and Europe Travel plan are good, affordable options that are easy to purchase online. After you purchase, you receive an email immediately with all of your documents to show proof of coverage to obtain your Spanish visa.

For more information, be sure to check out our resource section about studying abroad and finding international insurance in Spain.

Posted by Victoria Troupe

Victoria is currently a marketing specialist with Envisage International. She has had the opportunity to live and study around the world, including Germany, Poland, and China. A native of Wyoming, Victoria received her Bachelor's degree from the University of Wyoming, her MBA from the University of North Florida and her Master's of Intercultural Communication from Fachhochschule Köln, in Cologne, Germany.

4 thoughts on “Health Insurance to Study Abroad in Spain”

Kate says:

Hello Victoria:

I’m currently looking for health insurance that would cover me overseas in Spain. I’m applying for a Spanish student visa and the requirement is for health insurance is that it covers me internationally with a minimum of 30,000 euro with no deductibles or co-pays. Do you provide this type of coverage that meets this requirement?
I would like the most basic health insurance that would cover this requirement. Could you please provide me with some information.

Thank you!

Hi Kate. Yes, our Atlas Travel plan will meet all of your requirements. You can choose coverage starting at $50,0000 USD, which exceeds the 30,000 euro requirement. You can also choose a $0 deductible. It is very affordable. Here is the link to get apply online:

Let us know if you need any further help!

Tobi says:

Hi can a U.K. Student use Atlas travel Plan? And what does deductible mean ?

Hi Tobi,

Thanks for your comment. Yes, anyone traveling outside of their home country can use the Atlas Travel plan. If you are traveling outside of the UK, you will have coverage.

The deductible is the amount you are required to pay to your provider before the insurance company pays toward your eligible expenses. On this plan, you can choose your deductible (options are: $0, $100, $250, $500, $1,000 and $2,500) which is paid once per certificate period.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. You can email us at

Leave a Reply

Compare plans fitting your coverage needs

Get updates via email: