With so much history, art and inspiration seeping from every inch, who wouldn’t want to study abroad in Greece? Not only does it have ancient relics such as the Parthenon, but it has a variety of natural scenery that pleases beach goers and mountain lovers alike. As with any trip, there is a lot of preparation involved beforehand and you might be wondering what the Greece visa requirements for an international student are.
Greece is a part of the Schengen Treaty meaning if you are not a citizen of a European-Union, you more than likely will need to obtain a Schengen visa for your studies over 90 days. However, there are exceptions. A Schengen visa will allow you to visit other countries within the Schengen space on this one visa.
To obtain a Schengen visa to study abroad in Greece the application must be submitted in person two weeks prior to your scheduled departure. Below is a general list of Greece visa requirements that will need supporting documents. Please note depending on your home country and situation you may be required to provide additional forms of information.
- A completed application
- A valid passport
- One passport photo
- Official acceptance letter of the institution where you will be studying
- A medical certificate
- Criminal record from the federal police (for Australian citizens) and National criminal record (including English translation) for other nationalities
- Proof of financial means for the duration of your stay
- Proof of international health insurance for the duration of your stay
For your insurance plan to meet the Schengen visa health insurance requirements, it must include the following:
- The insurance company must have a representative office in Europe
- Medical evacuation/ repatriation coverage of at least euro 30,000
- Insurance must be valid for the duration of stay in the Schengen countries
One common international student health insurance plan for students looking to meet the Schengen visa health insurance requirement while studying abroad in Greece is the Atlas Travel plan. After you purchase this plan you will have immediate access to your student zone where you can obtain a visa letter providing proof of your insurance.
If you would like further information on a plan that will meet your Greece visa requirements, please contact one of our licensed insurance agents.
While this information reflects the typical Greece visa process and requirements please check with your embassy for any changes.