Spain Student Insurance

If you are preparing to study in Spain, you will need Spain student insurance to meet the Spanish visa requirements.

Spain is considered a Schengen country, which requires that you have 30,000 euros in coverage. However, the Embassy has added additional requirements for students studying in Spain. In addition to the minimum coverage requirement, your Spain student insurance requires that you have 100% coverage up until 30,000 euros – or its $50,000 USD equivalent.

What does this mean to you? Your Spain student insurance must not have a deductible, co-payment, or coinsurance to be accepted by the Embassy. In addition, your Spain student insurance must include medical expense coverage for emergency medical evacuation and repatriation services. When applying for your visa, you will need to provide a certificate of coverage/visa letter for proof of your Spain student insurance. Many insurance companies will allow you to purchase your Spain student insurance before departing on your trip. You will be able to choose your dates of coverage, which should be for the entire period you plan to stay in Spain.

Many students have opted for the Atlas Travel plan since this is a comprehensive insurance plan that meets all of the Spanish visa requirements. This Spain student insurance will allow you to choose a $0 deductible, or no deductible, and provides 100% coverage up until the policy maximum you select, with a minimum of $50,000 USD. After you purchase the Atlas Travel plan, you will have immediate access to your visa letter at Student Zone. You would then just attach this letter to your student visa application. If for any reason you are not issued your visa, you would receive a full-refund. You will just need to send a written or emailed cancellation request before your plan begins.

Please see our Spain student insurance section for an excellent overview of all the plans available to you.

8 thoughts on “Spain Student Insurance”

Yekaterina Bakulina says:

Hello! I need student medical insurance for one year from 1st Jan 2018 to 31 Dec 2018 to apply for student visa.
My date of birth 9.04/1986. Please recommend me how can I make it and how much it will cost total.

Hi Yekaterina,

We have many different plan options that would work well for your situation. I will follow up with you via email with more information about our Atlas Travel plan, for visiting Spain!

Indrajeet Mallick says:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am from Bangladesh, living in Germany and will be travelling to Spain for my higher studies. I was in the Spanish consulate for the visa purpose. They need public health insurance of spain to obtain the visa. I am bit confused, how to overcome this barrier. My university already started the course October, 2017.
My university is also confused to obtain a public health insurance without a NIE card.
I would really be helpful if you could suggest me any solution.
Indrajeet Mallick

Hi Indrajeet,
Thanks for your comment. Although, we are unable to assist with obtaining insurance through the public health system, we do offer private insurance plans, which work well for obtaining a student visa in Spain. Our Atlas Travel plan is recommended for obtaining your Spanish visa, as long as you choose a $0 deductible, when purchasing. If you have further questions regarding this plan, please email us at

Sonam says:

I want medical insurance to cover my Son’s Study program in Spain for one year starting this August and for applying for Visa.


Hi Sonam,

Thanks for your comment. For your son who need insurance coverage in Spain for a year, I would recommend our Atlas Travel plan. I have sent you an email with more information about this plan.

Have a great day!

Kaitlin Bridges says:

Hi! I am from the US studying abroad at Universidad Alicante ; I have a 6 year old child who is coming with me for the 6 month visit. What type of health insurance can I purchase for him to have a visa and attend primary school?
Thank you in advance!!

Hello Kaitlin,

Thanks for your comment. The plan we recommend for Spanish students and short term visitors is the Atlas Travel plan!

The Spanish embassy requires a plan with $0 deductible and a minimum of 30,00 EUR of coverage. This plan will allow you the flexibility to choose $0 deductible and the policy maximum of your preference ($50,000 USD, minimum to meet the coverage requirements, or higher.)

You can read more about the plan, benefits, exclusions and apply right online here!

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Leave a Reply

Compare plans fitting your coverage needs

Get updates via email: