Student Zone Frequently Asked Questions

Seeking Treatment

How do I Seek Treatment

What providers can I seek medical care from? You are free to visit any doctor or hospital (known as providers) that you wish. We do, however, encourage you to visit a provider that is part of the Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) in the USA or the WorldTrips International Network outside of the USA. In many cases, submission of claims will be easier and you will likely have to pay less out-of-pocket (depending on your insurance plan).

You can access these networks by visiting your student zone page.

Is it ok to seek medical care from any provider? Yes, you are free to seek medical care from any provider that you wish. The difference from seeking medical care from a provider that is part of our network is that an in-network provider may be able to submit the bills directly for processing, and you may have less out of pocket expenses to pay (depending on the insurance plan you have purchased).

What do I need to do when seeking medical care? To make the process as smooth as possible when seeking medical care, you should follow these steps:

  1. Find a provider — your insurance plan includes a provider network, and in many cases when seeking medical care from that provider, the claim process will be much easier. You can locate a provider through your Student Zone, or by calling the assistance line (the phone number can be found on your ID card).
  2. Selecting a provider — in many cases, urgent care centers or walk-in clinics are sometimes the best places to seek medical care. You do not need to call in advance to seek medical care, and you can just walk right in and wait to be seen. If that is not possible, then calling a doctor's office and scheduling an appointment is the next best option. Only seek medical care from an Emergency Room (ER) in emergency situations.
  3. Bring your ID card — when you arrive, be sure to show your insurance ID card and inform them that your insurance is part of the First Health Network or the UnitedHealthcare Network (the logo is on your insurance ID Card). This will make sure they have the correct information to submit the claim to us.
  4. Pay Your Deductible (In-Network) — in-network providers should be able to bill direct, so you will just need to pay your deductible (if your plan has one) and the bills will be sent directly for processing by the claims team. Out-of-network providers may ask for payment upfront, in which case you will need to pay the provider and then submit a claim form for reimbursement. To be sure that the provider will bill us directly, be sure to call the provider prior to treatment to confirm.
  5. Submit your Claims Form — whether you sought treatment in-network or outside the network, you will need to file a claim with WorldTrips. If you paid for your treatment at the time of service, you will also want to submit your itemized bills, receipts, and medical records. You can submit your claim through the Student Zone (recommended for faster processing), or you can email your claims documents to
  6. Follow Up On Your Claim — Claims take about 30 business days to be processed, after which you or your provider will receive payment for the eligible expenses, as well as your Explanation of Benefits (EOB) which details how your claim was processed. You can check on the status of your claim periodically through the Student Zone, or you can call WorldTrips directly at +1 (317) 262-2132.

What should I expect to pay at my visit? You can expect to pay the deductible (if you have one) and copay at the time of treatment. Once the claim is processed, there may be an additional portion of your bill that you may have to pay (such as the coinsurance or treatment that was excluded). You will need to pay this directly to the provider.

I called a provider but they said they don’t know this insurance — what can I do? The provider has a direct contract with the Preferred Provider Organization in the US. Because of this, it’s important that when you call them, you inform them that your plan is with the First Health Network or the UnitedHealthcare Network (depending on which network your plan uses). If you have any further issues, please call the number on the back of your card.

How can I make sure the provider will bill the insurance, and not me? To be sure that the provider will bill the insurance company directly, we recommend calling in advance of treatment to make sure that they will send the bills directly to us. Please note that you will still need to pay any deductible and copays at the time of treatment.

I will just pay for the bills out of pocket, and will submit a claim to be reimbursed. What documents can I request to expedite the process? If you plan to pay for the bills out of pocket, it’s possible that the insurance company will request the itemized bills and medical records. Because of confidentiality regulations in the US, it will speed up the process if you request this information during your consultation. Be sure to ask for a HCFA form, which will have the diagnosis codes required to process the claims. Then you can send this in along with your claims form to be reimbursed. If you are a student, please also be sure to submit a copy of your I-20.

Claims Questions

Do I need to submit a claim form? Yes, a claim form is needed for every new medical condition that you seek treatment for. You can submit your claim through the Student Zone (recommended for faster processing), or you can submit your documents to the claims team at

Do I need to submit a claim form for every visit? No, a claim form is not needed for every visit, just for every new injury/illness you have.

What documents do I need to submit for my claim? In order for your claim to be processed, you will need to submit the following documents:

  • Copy of your I-20 and proof of full time status (if you are a student)
  • Claims Form
  • HCFA Form (if treatment was in the US, and you paid out of pocket)
  • Itemized bills/receipts (If you have bills and or receipts, it cost should be listed separately)
  • Medical records (While not always required, it expedites processing)

Did you receive a medical bill and are not sure what to do next? The first thing you will need to do is check if the claim has been submitted to WorldTrips for processing. To do this, either:

In many cases, the claim may be submitted but pending for additional information. By checking the status, you will be able to find out what is missing and you can submit the necessary paperwork to get the claim processed.

If the claim is not on file and you went in-network, you will need to contact the provider and make sure they have all your insurance details on file to submit the bill directly to WorldTrips for processing.

How long do I have to submit a claim? You have 60 days from the last day of your policy to submit a claim. After that, any claims on that policy will be denied due to timely filing.

How long does it take for claims to be processed? Once all the documents have been received, claims take on average 30 business days to be processed. If you paid out of pocket for your medical visit, you’ll be reimbursed for any eligible expenses once your claim has been fully processed.

How will reimbursement be made to me? Reimbursement is typically paid via check, however if you have a large reimbursement, it’s possible to be wired the money as well.

I don’t agree with a claims denial, what can I do? If you feel that a claim was wrongly denied, you can appeal the claim within 90 days from the date the notice was sent. To do this, simply complete the Appeal Request Form with more details on why you believe the claim was incorrectly processed and email it to You’ll want to be sure to also submit supporting documentation to show why your claim should have not been denied. Your appeal will be reviewed within 60 days.

Managing Coverage

I need additional coverage, how do I extend coverage?

If you need additional insurance coverage, you can extend before the plan ends in the Student Zone. If your plan has already expired, you can purchase a new plan and begin coverage as soon as the same day. Unfortunately, there is no way to reinstate a policy that has already expired.

Please keep in mind that if you purchase coverage to start the same day, any illness that begins by occurrence of symptoms and/or receipt of treatment within the first two days of coverage would not be eligible for coverage. This only applies to the Atlas Travel plan.

Who can I contact if I have an emergency? If you have a medical emergency, please contact WorldTrips at 800-605-2282 (toll free in the US) or at +1 317-262-2132 (internationally).

What if I need support in another language? Our plans offer support in other languages, so simply call the number of the back of your card to request assistance in a different language. All documents can be submitted in your native language as translation is available for claims processing as well.

Do I need to notify the insurance if I travel to another country? No, your plan automatically will cover you internationally, as long as you are outside your home country. Please keep in mind that you must include US coverage if you will need coverage in the United States.