Charges for the following services, treatments and/or conditions, among others, are excluded from coverage under
Student Health Advantage.
- Charges resulting directly or indirectly from or relating to any Pre-existing Condition are excluded from
coverage under this insurance until the Insured Person has maintained coverage under this insurance plan
continuously for at least six months on the Platinum level and 12 months on the Standard level. A Pre-existing
Condition is defined as any Injury, Illness, sickness, disease, or other physical, medical, mental or nervous
condition, disorder or ailment that, with reasonable medical certainty, existed at the time of application or at
any time during the 12 months prior to the effective date of the insurance, whether or not previously manifested
or symptomatic, diagnosed, treated, or disclosed prior to the effective date, including any subsequent, chronic
or recurring complications or consequences related thereto or arising therefrom.
- Treatment or surgeries which are elective, investigational, experimental or for research purposes.
- War, military action, political insurrection, protest, or any act thereof. The Company will not pay for a
Political Evacuation if there is a travel advisory in effect on or within six (6) months prior to the Insured
Person’s date of arrival in the Host Country.
- Immunizations and routine physical exams.
- Treatment of Temporomandibular Joint or dental treatment, except as expressly provided for in the certificate of
- Venereal disease, AIDS virus, AIDS related illness, ARC Syndrome, or AIDS, and the cost of testing for these
conditions, and charges for treatment or surgeries which are incurred by any Insured who was HIV+ at time of
enrollment into this insurance.
- Pre-natal, post-natal, and newborn care, unless related to a Covered Pregnancy, treatment for infertility or
impotency, sterilization or reversal thereof, or abortion.
- Medical Expenses in excess of $5,000 for Injury or Illness sustained while participating in Amateur Athletics.
Additionally, any Illness or Injury sustained while taking part in: Professional Athletics, or other athletic
activity that is sponsored or sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee, and adventure sports and
activities, including, without limitation the following (including any combination or derivative of the
following): abseiling; mountaineering activities where specialized climbing equipment, ropes or guides are
normally or reasonably should have been used; athletic or sporting activities (except for activities that are
non-contact, non-collision and engaged in by You solely for recreational, entertainment or fitness purposes);
aviation (except when travelling solely as a passenger in a commercial aircraft or); motocross (MOTO-X); BMX;
BASE jumping; bobsledding; bungee jumping; canyoning; caving; hang gliding; heli-skiing; high diving; hot air
ballooning; inline skating; jet skiing; jungle zip lining; kiteboarding; kayaking; luge; mountain biking;
parachuteing; paragliding; parascending; rappelling; racing of any kind including without limitation by horse,
motor or other vehicle (of any type) or motorcycle; rock climbing; any rodeo activity; ski jumping; sky diving;
snow skiing except for recreational downhill and/or cross country snow skiing (provided that there is no
coverage for any Illness of Injury sustained while skiing in violation of applicable laws, rules or regulations;
away from prepared and marked in-bound territories; and/or against the advice of the local ski school or local
authoritative body); snowboarding; snowmobiling; spelunking; surfing; trekking; whitewater rafting; windsurfing;
wildlife safaris; and sub-aqua pursuits involving underwater breathing apparatus below a depth of 10 meters.
Practice or training in preparation for any excluded activity which results in Illness or Injury will be
considered as activity while taking part in such activity
- Vision or ear tests and the provision of visual or hearing aids.
- Vocational, recreational, speech or music therapy.
- Treatment while confined primarily to receive custodial care, educational or rehabilitative care, or nursing
- Charges, Injuries and/or Illnesses resulting or arising from or occurring during the commission or continuing
perpetration of a violation of law by the insured, including without limitation, the engaging in an illegal
occupation or act, but excluding minor traffic violations.
- Treatment for, and Injuries and/or Illnesses resulting or arising from, substance abuse or drug addiction.
- Injury and/or Illness resulting or arising from being under the influence of alcohol or drugs; and Injury or
Illness resulting from operating any type of vehicle after consuming any alcohol or drugs.
- Willful self-inflicted Injury or Illness.
- Treatment required as a result of or arising from complications from a treatment or condition not covered under
- Any services or supplies performed or provided by a relative of the Insured or provided at no cost to Insured.
- Organ or tissue transplants or related services.
- Illness or Injury where the trip to the host country is undertaken for treatment or advice for such Illness or
Injury, except as expressly provided for in the certificate of insurance.
- Treatment incurred as a result of or arising from exposure to nuclear radiation, and/or radioactive material(s).
This website contains only a consolidated and summary description of all current Student
Health Advantage benefits, conditions, limitations and exclusions. A certificate containing the complete Certificate
Wording with all terms, conditions and exclusions will be included in the fulfillment kit. IMG reserves the right to
issue the most current Certificate Wording for this insurance plan in the event this application and/or brochure has
expired, is modified, or is replaced with a newer version. Please view the plan certificate (
Platinum ) for the full benefits and limitations of the plan.