Malaysia Student Visa Requirements

malaysia-student-visa-requirementsMalaysia is currently ranked in 11th place when it comes to the number of inbound international students. The Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) is expecting to reach 200,000 international students in Malaysia by 2020, bring in revenue approximating RM600 billion, according to the Malaysian Insider. However, this flood of international students will be required to adhere to a few new visa requirements. In an attempt to cut down on visa fraud, Malaysia has tightened their visa requirements and even created Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS), an organization dedicated to overseeing the visa enrollment process.

Students hoping to study in Malaysia will now have to:

1. Be accepted into a higher education institute,
  2. Be issued a valid student card,
  3. Take a Malay language course within their first year of study in Malaysia and,
  4. Purchase medical insurance.

With the exception of the language course, this check list must be completed before applying for a visa.

If you are an international student planning to study inside Malaysia, the sooner you can prepare for your visa, the better. This means ensuring your school of interest has received your acceptance application, preparing yourself to learn a second language and purchasing insurance that will meet the new Malaysia Student Visa Requirements.

For information on applying to a school in Malaysia, it is best to contact the school directly. Often, the school’s website will have information on how to apply and become accepted. There will also be a phone number where you can reach an advisor with any questions you have. You can also check out the very popular website, Study in Malaysia, as they have lots of information on their site too.

If you are on the hunt for Malaysia student insurance, one popular plan option for students trying to meet the Malaysia student visa requirements is the Atlas Travel plan. The Atlas Travel plan gives you the flexibility to choose your coverage amount and deductible, allowing you to have a plan that will meet your insurance requirements and your budget. If you would like to purchase the Atlas Travel plan to meet the new Malaysia student visa requirements, you can apply directly online or contact one of our insurance experts for more information.

Category: Country Insurance Requirements

Tags: , ,

Posted by

Bryanna joined International Student Insurance in 2011 after returning to the United States from teaching English in China. Her interest in international education, sparked initially by her own study abroad experience in Wales, led her to the company. Bryanna is originally from Missouri and is a graduate from the University of Central Missouri.

50 Responses to “Malaysia Student Visa Requirements”

1. Emmanuel says:

Please i want know how much will cost for one to come and study in Malaysia.

• blindblom says:

Hi Emmanuel,

Unfortunately to review the price of studying in Malaysia, you will need to contact the school in Malaysia directly. However, we are able to assist you with the cost of international insurance for your time in Malaysia. To view health insurance pricing information you can check out the Atlas Travel plan here.

Good luck!

2. Mosaraf Hosen says:

I want to do Diploma in Management course.How much is the costing for this?

• blindblom says:

Hi Mosaraf,

Unfortunately we are only able to assist you with finding an insurance plan that will meet the needs of your visa. The course cost will depend on the school that you choose to attend. My best suggestion would be to find a school that will has the program you are looking for, then contact them directly regarding the cost. They will be able to assist you further with this. Before your trip, make sure you have the student insurance that you need.

Good luck!

3. hiba says:

hi please i need to know how to apply for student visa i am libyan and have scholarship to study in malaysia but recently somebody told me that i can not apply for student visa but fot tourism visa is that right? and i will travel with my husband as he is a dependant to me so what the proper visa type for both of us

• Ross Mason says:

Thanks for your comment, the best advise is to look at the consular website in your country – they should be able to tell you what visa you need to apply for in Malaysia

4. joufar says:

Hai i want to do hotel management course. What i am 28year old what i can get a student visa..

5. adnan baloch says:

hi my name is adnan iam 10 class student which is stydying in a good school iam from pakistan and want to study enginering in malasia can ia applay in malasia if yes than how and is engineering a good subjet

6. Ishak Sadat says:

Hi!
    I am a tertiary student and would love to spend my vacation in malaysia is there any hardship and conditions in acquiring student visa?

7. abdo abouzaied says:

Am I going to be able to find a jop while studding in Malaysia ?
    ?

• Hi Abdo, thanks for your post. Finding a job overseas can be difficult, we recommend doing research on companies in the area you want to live and applying to positions both online and in person. If you know people in Malaysia, they may also be able to help in your job search. Best of luck!

8. Lucy Wangari says:

Hi I am Lucy from Kenya a sent my application to a certain university in Malaysia but im still waiting for their response, I would like to know if I will take the malay language in my home country or in Malaysia?and how do I get the medical insurance and how much does it coast,thanks.

9. Lucy Wangari says:

Lastly how much bank statement must I have? in my account

• Hi Lucy, if you would like to pay for one of our international student health insurance plans, you would need to have the total premium in your bank account when you make the payment. Feel free to contact us at info@internationalstudentinsurance for more information.

10. animesh sarker says:

Hey i am animesh .i am 22 years old .i want to do study in hotel management subject.My aim student visa study. in malaysia.

• Hi Animesh, thanks for posting! Unfortunately I cannot assist you with studying hotel management in Malaysia. We recommend doing research at the various schools in Malaysia, researching their hotel management, and choosing the one that meets your needs. Good luck with your studies.

11. oster says:

Need to know how to get student visa to malaysia

• While we cannot help you with your student visa, the school you would like to study at may be able to assist. Contact the school of your choice and they’ll have someone who can help you through the process.

12. Tres says:

Con you confirm that students can not be given a Visa if wishing to study at a Language School when they are over the age of 36 years?

13. WAQAS AHMAD says:

Hi,
    Is bank statement compulsory for study a diploma course in Malaysia? And Is it compulsory to get a vaild visa approval Pass ?

14. itodo emmanuele says:

I intend to do a masters program in a Malaysian university and am Nigerian. most of the schools tend to require toefl even though my language of instruction for my undergraduate was English….is there a way past these without writing toefl. thanks

15. bhavdip says:

hiii…
    I m bhavdip satasiya.
    I want to do study in computer engineering in bachelor.
    So,plz give me instructions…

16. amo says:

I am Libyan student , married with five kids , in case I got visa with VDR to study at ukm , I am asking ..can I bring my family with me ?

17. Ameen says:

I am a student from India. I have received my visa but it came up late So i am supposed to be in Malaysia for 2 months before the next session otherwise my visa will expire and will have to apply for a new one. So I wanted to ask can I travel out of malaysia in that period of time or Do i need to remain in Malaysia as I will be free for two months.

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Ameen,

Thank you for visiting! Unfortunately we can only assist you with international health insurance for your time in Malaysia. You might want to contact your embassy for more information on what travel restrictions you need to follow during your time abroad.

18. houssem says:

hello
    i am houssem and i work in LSC(London School of Commerce) in malaysia
    if any one want to study in malaysia please contact me

19. wasim sarwar says:

hi
    Bryanna Davis

how are you i want to complete my master course in hospitality and management in Malaysia can you share how much expensive tell me

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Wasim,

Thank you for visiting! Unfortunately we can only assist you when it comes to finding health insurance for your studies in Malaysia- we are not able to help you with finding a school. However, once you have your trip confirmed let us know and we will be happy to find the perfect health insurance plan for you!

20. MOHAMED FARAJ ALI says:

MY MAIN QUERRY IS THAT A KENYAN NATIONAL WHO RESIDE IN UAE,HAS BEEN ACCEPTED TO JOIN THE HIGHER EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION(UNIVERSITY) IN MALAYSIA.
    CAN HE APPLY FOR HIS STUDENT VISA IN THE MALAYSIAN EMBASSY IN DUBAI OR HE WILL HAVE TO COME TO KENYA.
    HE IS A KENYAN NATIONALITY,BUT BORN IN UAE,WENT TO PRIMARY AND SECONDARY IN UAE,ONLY A LEVEL STUDIES WERE TAKEN HERE IN KENYA.BOTH HIS PARENTS ARE PARMANENT RESIDENCE OF UAE,DESPITE BEING KENYANS BY NATIONALITY.
    IT WILL BE MY PLEASURE TO GET YOUR QUICK RESPONSE IN THIS MATTER.
    THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE.

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks for visiting! Unfortunately we can only help you with insurance questions. If he will need insurance for his visa approval or simply to make sure he will have the coverage he needs while he travels, just let us know how long he will need coverage and we will be happy to help him find a good plan.

21. kamrul hasan says:

I have completed LLB (honours) ,I want to study in Malaysia at master of laws LLM.I am bangladeshi.Now how can I get student visa

22. hardik patel says:

i am indian student.i have completed B.P.T (PHYSIOTHERAPY).I WANT STUDY IN MALAYSIA AT MASTER OF HEALTH SCIENCE. NOW HOW CAN I GET STUDENT VISA. IELTS EXAM IS COMPALSARRY YES OR NO..

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Hardik,

When it comes to language tests- you must take a Malay language course within your first year of study in Malaysia. Although we are only able to help you with insurance during your time in Malaysia, this link will help you find more on your visa. Good luck.

23. Victor says:

Can you get me a list of affordable public universities in Malaysia where I can undergo an undergraduate management course with minimum requirements? Thanks

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Victor,

Unfortunately we aren’t able to provide you with a list of universities in Malaysia- only health insurance information for your time there. If you need help finding a health insurance plan during your studies in Malaysia please let us know and we will be happy to help you at that time.

24. Tainoor says:

I want to asked that if I purchase a work visa for malyshiya can I apply in any colkege?.
    mean that I want to come in malyshiya on work visa and also want to study.

25. john says:

Please i would like to know what is the age limit to study in Malaysia

26. shakil says:

have you any admission center in bangladesh?

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Shakil,

We do not have an office in Bangladesh, however, if you are looking for health insurance we are able to help you over the phone. You can call us Monday-Friday 8am-6pm EST at +1-904-758-4391.

We hope to help you further!

27. sana hamid says:

I am a Pakistani citizen. Do i need to give IELTS for malaysian student visa? I am already giving SAT

28. Ashintha says:

plz advice me how to apply student visa , i am palinh to lean Malay language. pl advice

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Ashintha,

We unfortunately can only help you with finding health insurance for your time in Malaysia. However, if you follow the link above it will allow you to find more information on studying in Malaysia.

Good luck!