Compare plans fitting your coverage needs

Health Insurance in Sweden

Learn about how health insurance works in Sweden

As an international student, one of the first things you will have to sort out before travelling anywhere is your insurance. Different countries have different requirements when it comes to health insurance, and you want to be sure that you are covered in case you become ill or get injured during your stay in a foreign country.

Your eligibility for health insurance in Sweden depends on several factors, including the projected length of your stay and your country of origin. The following is a brief overview of health insurance for international students in Sweden.

Health Insurance for Nordic, EU/EEA Citizens and Switzerland

If you are a citizen of any Nordic, EU/EAA country or of Switzerland, you will have access to essential health care in Sweden if you register beforehand as a social insurance office in your home country and obtain a European Health Insurance card. If your country does not yet issue European Health Insurance cards, ask for a form E128 or a form E111. This form will allow you to just pay the normal patient fee, just like Swedish citizens.

If you do not register with your social insurance company in your home country, you will need to arrange your own insurance coverage, which is also best done in your home country. However you do it, make sure you have some kind of coverage; medical costs add up quickly without it.

Health Insurance for Non-EU/EAA Citizens, Stays of One Year or More

If you are an international student studying in Sweden for longer than a year, you are entitled to the same health benefits as Swedish citizens. You will first need to register at your tax office, and then obtain a personal identity number (or “personnummer” in Swedish) as soon as you arrive in Sweden. The application procedure can take some time to complete, but don’t worry; you will be fully covered if you need medical treatment during the time it takes for your application to be processed. If you are seeking medical attention and still waiting for your “personnummer,” you will need to show that you have applied for an identity number and civil registration.

Health Insurance for Non-EU/EAA Citizens, Stays of Less than a Year

If you are an international student studying in Sweden for less than a year, you will not be able to obtain a personal identity number, and you will not have automatic access to health care. However, many Swedish universities and colleges provide their students with coverage through Kammarkollegiet’s FAS plan, so you should check with the university to which you’ve been accepted to see if they offer this plan.

In addition to government Kammarkollegiet insurance, Sweden has reciprocal agreements for medical benefits with a number of different countries. Contact the social insurance office in your home country to find out whether your country has this type of agreement with Sweden. If you do, you will only need to present your passport and a certificate from your national social security office when seeking medical help.

If you are not covered by any of these agreements, you will need to arrange for your own insurance coverage; medical treatment without any form of insurance is very expensive in Sweden.

We offer the following plans to students who are planning to travel, study or visit Sweden:

Europe Travel Atlas Travel Student Secure
Policy MaximumPolicy Max. €40,000 to €6 Million $50,000 to $2 Million $200,000 to $5,000,000 max$200k to $5M max
DeductibleDed. €0 up to €2,000 $0 up to $5,000 $25 up to $100
Currency € Euro priced $ USD priced $ USD priced
Premium Starting at €0.54/ day Starting at $0.85/ day Starting at $0.85/ day

Best Insurance Plans for Sweden

We have a range of insurance plans, however for students studying in Sweden the best insurance options are: