Compare plans fitting your coverage needs

Hungary Student Visa Requirements

As of 2007, Hungary is a part of the Schengen Area. Hungary now falls under Schengen legislation which allows for easier transit between European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) countries. However, visa requirements for non-European Citizens differ. Regardless of nationality, all students must have a valid passport before entry, meaning that they must be in possession of a passport that is valid for at least two years. It is highly recommended that upon one’s initial entrance into Hungary, students carry all documentation which was necessary for the visa application. It is possible that, upon entry, students may be asked, to present these forms due to the fact that possession of a visa is considered only a primary authorization for entry into the country.

Visa requirements for all students are divided into two different categories: 90-day travel maximum or travel that exceeds 90-days. The specific conditions are dependent on your citizenship status; however, for all visa applications proof of valid medical insurance is necessary.

Visa & Insurance Requirements for EU/EEA Nationals

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Students who are EU/EEA nationals are eligible to receive health services free of charge if the service is deemed a medical necessity during a temporary stay in Hungary. However, as EU/EEA nationals you are also entitled to receive the same care as a Hungarian citizen, as long as you are in possession of the EHIC card. The EHIC card must be presented along with another form of identification (passport or national ID card) to the physician by whom you are being treated or to the registrar’s desk at the medical facility.

Studies within 90-days

If your study abroad program is expected to last 90-days or less, you are eligible to enter Hungary without a visa. You are authorized to enter the country with your passport or your national identity card. These forms of identification are also what you will use during your residency as a student.

Studies exceeding 90-days

As mentioned above, EU or EEA citizens are not required to obtain a visa. However, if your studies will exceed the 90-day maximum, then you are required to obtain a registration card (“regisztracios igazolas”) and address card ("lakcimet igazolo hatosagi igazolvany"). You must apply for these cards within the first 30-days of your date of arrival to Hungary.

Requirements for non-EU/EEA Nationals

Travel Health Insurance

Oftentimes, domestic health policies do not extend their coverage overseas, so it is essential to get in touch with your insurance provider beforehand. In order to receive a student visa, you must be in possession of an insurance policy which will cover at least 30,000 EUR of medical costs to include emergency health services and transport home in the event of a medical emergency. The policy must be applicable for the full duration of your time abroad.

Studies within 90-days

Non-EU/EEA citizen who belong to the following countries are not required to apply for a visa if their stay will be 90-days or less. Countries not mentioned below must apply for a long-term visa (“tartozkodasi engedely atvetelere jogosito vizum”), which grants only a single-entry.

  • Andorra
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • El Salvador
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Iceland
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Malaysia
  • Mauritius
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua
  • Norway
  • Panama
  • Paraguay
  • San Marino
  • Seychelles
  • Singapore
  • St. Christoph and Nevis
  • Switzerland
  • South Korea
  • United States (USA)
  • Uruguay
  • Venezuela

Studies exceeding 90-days

If you study abroad program will exceed the 90-day maximum, you are required to submit a visa application. You will need to apply for a long-term visa (“tartozkodasi engedely atvetelere jogosito vizum”), for educational purposes. Upon your arrival, you must apply for a residence permit within the first 30-days.

Best Insurance Plans for Hungary

We have a range of insurance plans, however for students studying in Hungary the best insurance options are: