Michigan State University - American Semester Program

Welcome to your Student Zone insurance center!

Getting Medical Treatment

Find out the best place to go when you are sick or injured to make sure you receive treatment quickly.

Step 1 —Go to the doctor, clinic or hospital. Find a nearby provider in the network. In case of emergency, go to the emergency room or call the local emergency services phone number (911 in the US).

Urgent care centers or walk-in clinic are a great place to get immediate medical attention that is not life-threatening. They do not require an appointment and may have extended hours.

The emergency room or hospital is only for life threatening illnesses or injuries. If you go to the emergency room for an illness and you are not admitted, you may be subject to an additional deductible.

Step 2 — Present your insurance ID Card Show your ID card and be prepared to pay any deductible or copay. If you went to a provider outside the network or don’t have your ID card with you, you may need to pay and submit for reimbursement.

Tip: Ask your provider at the time of treatment for your medical records as the insurance company may request this later.

Step 3 — Submit a claim form Every new condition will require that you complete and submit a claim form. Please include any itemized bills and receipts at the time of submission. Prescription medications will need to be paid up front at the pharmacy and you will need to submit a claim for reimbursement. Visit the Claim Form for more information.

Get Reimbursed for Prescription Medications

You will need to pay for prescription medication upfront at the pharmacy, and then submit a claim form along with the prescription, receipt, and related doctor’s visit to be reimbursed.

In certain areas of the USA there are discounted, or free, prescription drug programs to lower your out-of-pocket costs. They include:
  • Publix — available in the South East of the USA, Publix supermarkets offer a free prescription drug program.
  • Walmart — available all over the USA, Walmart offers a discounted $4 prescription drug program.
  • ShopRite — available at ShopRite locations, they offer a free antibiotics when prescribed.

Note: We will continue to add more programs as they become available, and the information here is a resource only and we cannot guarantee the programs will be available to everyone.

Claim Forms

Download the claim forms and submit to the insurance company to have your claim processed.

Everytime you seek treatment for a new condition, regardless of whether you went inside or outside the network, you will need to submit a claims form. You can complete the claim form in either English or Spanish:

Claim Forms

English Spanish

Dental Claim Forms

English Spanish

Medical Claims in the USA

If you need medical treatment in the US, please follow the following steps to have your claims processed:

  1. Find a nearby provider using the online provider search tool.
  2. Make an appointment (if necessary), and let them know your plan is with the First Health Network. In emergency cases, notify the insurance company by calling the number on your insurance card.
  3. Present your insurance ID card at your appointment, and be prepared to pay your deductible.
  4. Submit a claim form along with any itemized bills or receipts.

Medical Claims outside the USA

If you need medical treatment outside the US, you're welcome to use the optional network, or seek treatment at the provider of your choice. Direct payment may be set up, but students must call the number on their insurance card in advance. To seek treatment and file a claim, students should:

  1. Go to a nearby provider or use the online provider search tool to find a provider.
  2. Make an appointment (if necessary), and call the number on your insurance card to see if direct payment is available.
  3. Present your insurance ID card at your appointment.
  4. Be prepared to pay something out of pocket unless direct payment has been set up in advance.
  5. Submit a claim form along with any itemized bills or receipts that you have.

Prescription medications that are filled at the pharmacy are always paid out of pocket. Please submit the completed claim form and submit this along with the prescription, receipts and related doctor visit for reimbursement.

If you receive any bill in the mail, please complete a claim form, and submit this for processing.

Please note: A claims form is always required to process a claim regardless of whether you went inside or outside the network. You will need to submit a new claim form for every new condition.
All claims can be submitted to:

Checking Your Claim Status

You can check the status of your claims through MESA, which is available online and can be accessed from anywhere in the world. Please view the MESA section of this page to learn more about checking your claim status. You can also check the status of your claim by emailing service@hccmis.com or calling HCC at 800-605-2282 (US) OR +1 (317) 262-2132.

MESA — Online Claims Tracking

Login to track the status of your claims, download your EOB’s, and find out how your claims were processed.

MESA, or Member Enrollment Self Service Access, is a web portal where you can see all pending and processed claims. When a claim is processed, you will receive an Explanation of Benefits (or, EOB for short) letting you know how your claim was processed. This document will tell you what benefits have and have not been paid, along with any outstanding balance. If you need help understanding your EOB, check out our sample EOB online.

Please login to MESA to find the status of your claim:

Access MESA

Questions about MESA? Learn more about how to register and access the system.

Note: A submitted claim can take about 30 business days before it appears in the MESA system.

Frequently Asked Questions

Read through our frequently asked questions to learn more about your insurance plan.

Insurance can be complicated, which is why we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions to learn more about your plan and how it works.

  1. Who underwrites the insurance plan and what are they rated?

    Lloyd's is the underwriter of your plan. They are rated A (Excellent) by AM Best Company and A+ (Strong) by Standard and Poor's, and is the oldest insurance market in the world.

  2. Can I renew or extend my plan?

    If you need additional coverage on your plan, please contact your school or organization directly.

  3. I need to update my name, email address, and date of birth on my plan?

    All updates on your plan need to be done directly through your school or organization. Please contact them to update or correct any information.

  4. What is the deductible, copay, and coinsurance?

    The deductible is the amount you pay out of pocket before the insurance covers you. Depending on your plan, it can be paid once per year or once per condition.

    The copay is the amount you pay each time you seek treatment at a certain provider. Some plans may or may not include a copay.

    Coinsurance is the shared cost that you and the insurance company pay. It’s typically paid after the deductible or copay, and is a percentage you pay out of pocket.

  5. Where should I seek medical care?

    If you are sick or injured, there are many places you can go for to seek medical attention, including:

    • Doctor’s Office — Going to the doctor for a cold, flu, or stomach bug can be a great place to start. You will be required to call in advance and make an appointment, so this works well for students who do not need immediate medical attention.
    • Walk In Clincs/Urgent Care Centers — These providers are staffed with doctors and nurses, but do not require an appointment and you can walk right in and be seen. This is typically the best place to seek treatment as many of the labs and tests can be done right onsite. This is a good option if you are not feeling well or if you hurt yourself, and you would like immediate attention.
    • Hospital/Emergency Room — If you have a severe accident or illness that needs immediate medical attention, please go to the nearest emergency room or hospital, and/or call the emergency services for immediate assistance.
    Please note: Go to the emergency room only in the event of a true emergency; as any illness not admitted may be subject to an additional deductible.

    As with anything, we ask you to use your judgment if you feel you need immediate attention please do not delay and go straight to the Emergency Room. If your condition is not severe, then you can either visit a local doctor, walk-in clinic or urgent care center.

  6. I called the doctor’s office to make an appointment, and they did not recognize my plan. What should I do?

    When making an appointment while in the US, be sure to let the provider know that your plan is with the First Health Network. They will not know International Student Insurance or Tokio Marine HCC, so it’s important to let them know that your plan is with the First Health Network. Their logo will also appear on your insurance ID card. If you are outside the US and the provider is not in the network, you will need to check with the provider to see if they will do direct payment.

  7. Why should I go to an in-network doctor or hospital?

    We have network providers all over the world. For those provider in-network, they have agreed to treat covered members at a reduced rate and will file a claim for you (so you do not have to pay for your visit and submit for reimbursement).

    You will still need to submit a claims form after your visit for your claim to be processed.

  8. How long does it take to process a claim?

    Once all information is received, including the claims form, a claim takes about 30 business days to process. Claims are reimbursed either by check or wire transfer.

  9. I haven't heard back about my claim, how can I follow up?

    You can check the status of your claim online in the MESA portal, or you can call or email the insurance company directly at: